Ready... Steady...
Jun. 6th, 2010 06:37 pmIt's just over 12 hours to the moment when my plane leaves the ground and my adventure begins. Irma is waiting for me in LA and when I get there, I will hold her in my arms for a couple of days and then think about renting the car and moving forward.
There is an event that is starting soon. 3 billion people on the planet are very interested in. But the common knowledge is that americans are just not that into it. Of course I'm talking about 2010 FIFA World Cup. My elder brother asked me to see how it shows up in the media. I guess I will, although I don't usually ever read the sport pages in any newspaper. But granted, this is interesting. How come the most popular sport in the world doesn't capture the attention of U.S. citizens like it does everywhere else? My brother even tells me that U.S. has a kick-ass team going in this year.
I'm also starting to stress out about the whole driving thing. Will it be very different from driving in Finland? I know there are no huge differences, but I find myself nervous all of a sudden. Luckily there are some good sources. I'm sure we'll do fine.
Next time I'll be posting it will be from LA! Can't be there soon enough. Especially since the flight will take more than 15 hours. Now, I'll just finnish packing, wash the dishes, take out the trash, chat with Irma, double-check everything, pretend to sleep for an hour or two and...
...GO!
"What you call football, we call soccer, and what you call war crimes, we call football."
-Bill Maher
There is an event that is starting soon. 3 billion people on the planet are very interested in. But the common knowledge is that americans are just not that into it. Of course I'm talking about 2010 FIFA World Cup. My elder brother asked me to see how it shows up in the media. I guess I will, although I don't usually ever read the sport pages in any newspaper. But granted, this is interesting. How come the most popular sport in the world doesn't capture the attention of U.S. citizens like it does everywhere else? My brother even tells me that U.S. has a kick-ass team going in this year.
I'm also starting to stress out about the whole driving thing. Will it be very different from driving in Finland? I know there are no huge differences, but I find myself nervous all of a sudden. Luckily there are some good sources. I'm sure we'll do fine.
Next time I'll be posting it will be from LA! Can't be there soon enough. Especially since the flight will take more than 15 hours. Now, I'll just finnish packing, wash the dishes, take out the trash, chat with Irma, double-check everything, pretend to sleep for an hour or two and...
...GO!
"What you call football, we call soccer, and what you call war crimes, we call football."
-Bill Maher
Football right now!
Date: 2010-06-12 06:30 pm (UTC)